"Summer in the City": An overview of Munich's outdoor programs
Rides, stalls and activities all over the city
The Munich summer has been beautiful - despite the Corona crisis! Instead of a central festival, the joy of life is celebrated in different places: with culture, rides, stalls and sports. What's happening? Who is attending? What's the experience like? See answers to your questions about the "Summer in the City" - which runs until October 4.
Want to ride the Ferris Wheel at Königsplatz? After the roller coaster, wish to enjoy a few chocolate fruits in the Olympia Park? During the Summer in the City, you will experience these and some of Munich's most beautiful places like never before. It's a bit of a folk festival all over the city - distributed locally. Perfect for a short visit during the week, a nice weekend, on your own or with the whole family!
Every information at a glance: Summer in the City web app
On the official Summer in the City web app , you get an interactive overview of all events. Therefore, you can easily find your favorite events - and all the important information about them.
You can also check out FAQs about Summer in the City here .
To find news and information about the open-air program throughout the city, see here! (news in German)
Starts from 24th July, and lasts through the summer holidays. It has now been extended till 4th October.
Market stands, rides, cultural stages , promotions for children and adults, sports and much more - with many freebies. The program is currently being planned.
Almost everywhere in Munich! In public places within the city's districts and in beer gardens. At the Olympiapark , at Theresienwiese and Königplatz, a much larger program is also planned. At Au / Haidhausen in Mariahilfplatz, Weißenburger Platz, Orleansplatz, Wittelsbach court and in the Werkviertel, a lot is going on.
"Summer in the City" videos at a glance
On July 24th, "Summer in the City" (Sommer in der Stadt) begun. It goes without saying that the Spider Murphy Gang with their classic song of the same name were not be missing. We'll show you the highlights of the opening with Munich Mayor, Dieter Reiter.
The muenchen.de video team has compiled entertaining clips of the most beautiful scenes of the Summer in the City for you. From the opening at Königsplatz, impressions of the festival area and Coubertin-Platz to the question of where the different rides are actually located, the action at Theresienwiese and the sports program. There is also the Dult-mal feeling in Mariahilfplatz, the craft market and the cultural program with Luise Kinseher & Co. Take a look!
Here is the big overview - all videos at a glance!
A large part of “Summer in the city” is at the Olympia Park . Not only should you look forward to the festival's atmosphere at the park itself, but there will likely be a stage in Olympic Stadium.
Detailed plans for the Olympia Park :
- Stalls, market stands, carousels and restaurants in Coubertinplatz and on the festival grounds.
- Amusement rides at Coubertinplatz and on the festival grounds in the southern Olympia Park.
- The summer stage is to be built in the Olympia Stadium. There you can look forward to weeks of free concerts, shows and other events
As you already know, there will be no Oktoberfest this year, but Theresienwiese will be the spot for “Summer in the City”:
- The Bavarian Friday offers Oktoberfest flair every Friday from September 4th to 25th with the "Wiesn Wadl Workout" and "Bavarian Line Dance"
- The URBAN CHAIR MACHINE provides workshops where everyone can build their own seats
- There is a wide range of sports here including parkour, games and mountain biking
- The palm garden gives you that 'holiday feeling' at home
- From August 1st to 17th, there's the "Art in the Square" area with concerts, workshops and performances.
There is an outdoor cultural program - with concerts, shows, cabaret and events by different organizers from all over Munich. Here is a peek:
- There's a large summer stage at the Olympic Stadium offering free concerts
- The MONACORONA concert initiative organizes live concerts in the Munich city area - till September 26; for example at Westpark / Theatron, Luise-Kiesselbach-Platz and Partnachplatz. The shows are free of charge.
- The touring stage brings music concerts right into your neighborhood. More information on the program. Reservations are not necessary!
- Other stages are in the courtyard of the Deutsches Theater, at the Celibidacheforum des Gasteig and in the Werksviertel.
- The Munich City Museum also has a small program organized in its courtyard
- The Circus Krone offers the funniest car wash in Munich - see more to the Clown-Car-Wash here.
The Association of Market Merchants and Showmen organized a program in 2 Munich locations:
- Weissenburger Platz
This provides a typical Auer-Dult feeling, because it's mainly the market clerks you already knew from the Dult that are represented. In addition to Bavarian delicacies, shopping offers, traditional costumes and dishes, there a few small rides for kids here .
Important note on Corona rules: In "Dult with a difference", the mask rules still apply - as it is at the markets!
Bavarian customs: The festival ring brings you traditional costumes and brass music
Of course, Bavarian customs are celebrated in the city during the summer. At different places and at the "Dult mal anders", Schuhplattler and traditional costume groups dance for you while the brass band plays. You should not miss this!
These traditional afternoons are organized by the Festring München and the Bayerischer Trachtenverband. Entrance is free of course.
What offers and discounts are available?
Ride the whitewater course together at a lower price? Save money on ice? Snacks by the dozen cheaper? You know where? During the summer in the city there are great offers every day in all places!
Here, we have summarized for you all the offers and discounts of the participants during the summer in the city: Click here and save!
What do I have to register for?
If you go to any of the beer gardens at the Summer in the City, for example at Coubertinplatz or Orleansplatz, then you have to register as a Corona measure. Usually this can be done with a QR code via darichreinde .
The city's youth welfare office alongside youth organizations, not only organizes cultural events and mobile games in public places for children, but also for young people and adults.
What attractions are barrier-free?
As a person with disability and restricted mobility, you will get your money's worth attending Summer in the City - thanks to barrier-free attractions, sports, guided tours and cultural events.
- For example, the giant wheels on Königsplatz and Couberinplatz have barrier-free gondolas especially for people with disabilities.
- Many sports activities on the Theresienwiese and the “Fit im Park” sports program are also available to everyone.
- Guided tours by München Tourismus, which were designed for the city in summer, are also intended for people with disabilities - for example on Königsplatz and the Kunstareal.
- The open-air stages at the Olympic Stadium, the DeutschesTheater or the City Museum are barrier-free.
The City foundation festival would have been the highlight of the year: Instead, there's a special market for the artisans, between Odeonsplatz and Max-Joseph-Platz.
From 6th August to 4th September 2020, on Thursdays and Fridays (10am - 8pm), the hygiene concept envisages around 35 retailers. They are expected to maintain a distance of 5 meters between their stands.
Dates: September 10th / 11th, September 17th / 18th, September 24th / 25th, October 1st / 2nd. Responsible for organization and management is the freelance artist, Jens Höpke (Tel. 0176/52054703. E-Mail: email@example.com, www.lebeninbronze.de)
- The "Fitness in the Park" program collaborates with "Summer in the city": Daily from 6 pm. you can train free of charge in Westpark, Ostpark, Luitpoldpark, Riemer Park, Aubinger Ostpark and Hermann-von-Siemens-Sportpark.
- At the south-east of Theresienwiese , Munich's recreational sports program offers a free mix of trendy and team sports: table tennis, speedball, mountain biking, Wiesn wadl workout, frisbee, beach volleyball and more.
What tours and vouchers are there?
What about adventure trails?
Who is behind "Summer in the city" and why does it exist?
"Summer in the City" is being organized by the City of Munich, associations, clubs and private organizers.
Due to Corona, big events are prohibited in Bavaria until October. Oktoberfest, the Auer Dult, Tollwood and many other festivals were canceled. These especially affected the showmen, market traders, restaurateurs and cultural workers financially. The "Summer in the City" is not intended to be a substitute for the big events, but it is intended to help Munich's economy. And of course, to provide fun for Munich's residents and visitors alike!
The general Corona regulations for events in Bavaria apply. These rules can still change before the event starts. Keep to the hygiene regulations, remember the minimum distance required and always take your mask with you.
Hotel campaign: "Change of scenery in Munich"
In connection with Summer in the City, the campaign "Change of scenery in Munich" (Tapetenwechsel in München) will run from August 10 until the end of the summer vacations. Here, Munich residents could stay in the most beautiful hotels in the city for a special price! You could choose from about 50 hotels in these categories: 3 stars (for 79 EUR), 4 stars (for 99 EUR) and luxury / first class (for 139 EUR, each for 2 persons in a double room, with breakfast).
The overview plan of Summer in the City
Summer in the City on social media
- Contact person for media :
State Capital of Munich
Department for Labor and Economy
Department 6 Events
Phone: 089 / 233-82811 (Dr. Gabriele Papke) and 089 / 233-82804 ( Claudia Bauer)
- Current digital press kit :
- Art and culture artists who want to participate in "Summer in the City" - please contact this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org