Documentation Centre for the History of National Socialism
Place of learning and remembrance of the history of National Socialism
The NS Documentation Center conveys knowledge and awareness of the National Socialist era in Germany and especially in Munich. The visit is also an important experience for tourists.
The NS Documentation Center Munich at a glance
- The NS Documentation Center critically examines the history of Munich before, during and after the National Socialist era.
- On four floors and 1,300 square meters of exhibition space you will find a permanent exhibition, special changing exhibitions and a library.
- The goal is to counteract the current ongoing issues of exclusion, racism, anti-Semitism and discrimination through knowledge, awareness and discussion.
Exhibition concept: Creating awareness and discussion about the Nazi era
On four floors and 1,300 square meters of exhibition space, the NS Documentation Center critically examines the history of Munich before, during and after the National Socialist era. The exhibition concept is based on the question: 'Why Munich? And what is it to us today? '.
The information offered is aimed at all generations and attempts to tackle the ongoing topics on exclusion, racism, anti-Semitism and discrimination through knowledge, awareness and discussion.
A multi-storey permanent exhibition in German and English, changing special exhibitions, a library and a seminar area serve this purpose. A multifunctional hall for 200 people can also be used for lectures, discussions with witnesses of the era of National Socialism, film screenings and conferences. Free, multilingual media guides facilitate access to the permanent exhibition and a smartphone app allows visitors to follow the effects of National Socialism on the streets of Munich.
Learning forum: Important contents are conveyed through multimedia
One of the main aspects of the NS Documentation Center is the impacting of knowledge about the period of National Socialism. On four interactive media tables, visitors have the opportunity to deal with various topics. For example, the beginnings and rise of the NSDAP in Munich or the biographies and places of residence of those persecuted by the Nazi regime can be researched here.
The aim of the learning forum is to present these complex topics in the most non-derogatory and non-discriminatory forms possible. The contents of the exhibition can thus be explored in greater depth, whereby this offer is aimed at both groups and individuals.
Directions and address
- The NS-Documentation Center is located at the historical site of the "Brown House", the former party headquarters of the NSDAP in Munich.
- You can find it near Königsplatz at Max-Mannheimer-Platz 1 (formerly Brienner Straße 34)