zum Seitenanfang
Logo of the City of Munich Landeshauptstadt München

How do companies and self-employed persons apply for licenses from the City of Munich?

Mann und zwei Frauen in Businesskleidung im Beratungsgespräch  Link öffnet eine vergrößerte Darstellung des Bildes.
© Pressmaster / Shutterstock.com

Consulting and advisory service

The Point of Single Contact (PSC) is Munich's consulting and advisory service for business people. For starting or moving a business, this is where you will quickly find the information you need about necessary approvals and licenses, the rules governing start-up companies and the exercise of professions, details of how to contact useful networks, and facts and figures about Munich as a place to do business.

Our specially trained PSC consultants will walk you through every step of the unavoidable administrative formalities. The aim? Less red tape and faster results.

Expert administrators

The consultants who staff the Point of Single Contact know exactly which licenses you need to run a grocery store, say, or open a children's daycare center. "The forms for registering a new business are available from the Department of Public Law and Order (the "Kreisverwaltungsreferat" or "KVR")," explains Nicole Risch, a member of the PSC team. "And to open a nursery, we have to contact the childcare ("KITA") unit of the Department of Schooling, Education and Culture."

Questions such as "What is a 'mini-company?' (a slimmed-down version of the limited liability company known in German as the "Mini-GmbH") and "Can I get financial subsidies for my company in Munich?" are being asked all the time. The team explains the various legal forms a company or business can have and what subsidies and other kinds of support are available.

Inquiries from abroad

International inquiries tend to focus on different issues: What does a self-employed physiotherapist have to do to move his or her practice from Madrid to Munich? "Foreign callers often want to know about the specific requirements to exercise a profession," says Killy Wu, another member of the PSC team. The spectrum is very broad: "We frequently advise foreign entrepreneurs who need a license from the Immigration Authority so they can engage in self-employed activity. In other cases, we forward business registration documents via our secure e-mail system. We are frequently also asked to grant filming permits for Munich."

"We have even advised a Chinese auto maker who wanted to open an office in Munich," Antonie Neumaier, her colleague on the PSC team, adds. "In response to an inquiry from the UK, we were then able to help a company that markets online shopping tools and is planning to open a branch office in Munich."

Munich's PSC – "One-stop shopping" for international, multi-industry advice

Throughout Europe, PSC advisory services have been set up in response to the Services Directive published by the EU in 2006/2007. "However, the City of Munich provides a broader-based service," says Ursula Grunert, who leads the PSC team at the Department of Labor and Economic Development. "The Munich City Council has defined the term 'service' very generously. At the PSC, advice is provided to all industries and wherever the inquiries come from. Munich's PSC provides advice to entrepreneurs from all over Germany and all over the world, not just from the EU. We are able to provide support and information in German and English."


Video abspielen
Video in English: Point of Single Contact

Would you like to found a business in the City of Munich?

The Point of Single Contact (PSC) offers consulting services in German and English. We will answer your questions, like:

  • What registrations and what permits do I need to get started?
  • What do I have to keep in mind when founding?
  • What are the frame conditions at the business location Munich?

Our PSC consulting services are free of charge.


City of Munich - Department of Labor and Economic Development >> Contact for corporate customers – Point of Single Contact (PSC)

Herzog-Wilhelm-Straße 15
80331 München