Aktuelle Corona-Infos der Stadt unter www.muenchen.de/corona
zum Seitenanfang
Logo of the City of Munich Landeshauptstadt München

Current notice on the coronavirus

    Frequently asked questions - general information

    The Foreigners Office is open again for you, but with an appointment only.


    When your residence permit expires, you will automatically receive a letter from us. In all other cases, especially if you are applying for a residence title for the first time, please contact us in writing using the contact form or by post.

    What do I have to consider when contacting you?

    In order to process your request, we need your first and last name, your date of birth as well as your complete address in Munich. When using our forms, all information should be filled out as completely as possible and the form should be signed personally by the applicant or the legal representative. Please also note that you should only send us copies and not the originals of the enclosed documents by post. To enable us to contact you by post, please make sure that your name is legibly written on your post box. In order to keep processing times as short as possible, please send us your request only once and not several times. You can find our online contact form at https://service.muenchen.de/intelliform/forms/01/02/abh-kontakt/index. Our postal address is

    Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR)

    Ruppertstraße 19
    80466 München

    Important information for employers

    • Please note that the Foreigners Office has unfortunately not yet been able to send all employees the electronic residence title (eAT) they have already applied for.

    • Not all employees have received a valid certificate from the Foreigners Office yet.

    • If the eAT or the certificates have already expired, it is often not the employee's fault.

    • The existing document on the right of residence in Germany continues to be valid until the processing of the request at the Foreigners Office is again possible for the employee.

    • This also applies to all ancillary provisions in the document, particularly with regard to the nature and extent of permitted employment.

    • The certificate is only valid in conjunction with the personal document and the existing document on the right of residence in Germany.

    • However, travelling abroad and re-entering Germany is only possible with a valid residence title.

    I have contacted the Foreigners Office but I haven't received a reply yet?

    Due to a delayed reply by the Foreigners Office, you will not suffer any disadvantages concerning your right of residence.

    Servicepoint for emergencies

    In verifiable emergencies, please contact our staff at entrance A during the opening hours. There the evidence of an emergency will be checked and you will receive a waiting number for the Servicepoint in the waiting area 31 on the 3rd floor. Our staff at the Servicepoint will then make a suggestion to solve your emergency.

    What do I have to consider?

    • We can only serve emergencies at the service point.
    • If necessary, you will receive a fictional certificate or a border crossing certificate there.
    • Other services, such as change of employer or the issuance/extension of a residence title, can only be processed in writing using our online contact forms or by post and not at the Servicepoint.
    • Appointments are not issued at the Servicepoint.
    • No entry is possible without proof of emergency.
    • The examination and decision is ultimately up the Foreigners Office.

    What is an emergency?

    An emergency is an unpredictable situation in which a document is urgently needed as otherwise damage is imminent. This applies in the following cases:

    • imminent loss of job
    • imminent loss of benefits (for example unemployment benefit or student loan)
    • urgent travel for personal or professional reasons within the next seven days (such as business trip, illness, death)

    Which proofs are required?

    The following documents in German or English are accepted for entry:

    • Confirmation of the employer about imminent job loss or necessary business trip
    • Confirmation of the authority providing the benefit about imminent loss of benefit
    • Confirmation of travel company about booked trip, hotel, transport
    • Confirmation of an authority, a hospital or a doctor about urgent personal travel needs

    How do I receive a waiting number?

    You will receive your waiting number for the Servicepoint in the waiting area 31 located on the 3rd floor by presenting your proof to our staff at entrance A of Ruppertstraße 19.

    Opening hours:

    Monday 7:30 am – 12 noon
    Tuesday 8:30 am – 12 noon and 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
    Wednesday closed
    Thursday 8:30 am – 3:00 pm
    Friday 7:30 am – 12 noon

    Whom can I contact for further questions about the Servicepoint?

    If you have any further questions, please contact our service telephone 089/233-96010 or the public administration's customer service 115.

    FAQs concerning entry

    You are abroad and there are currently no flights or the borders are closed. Can you return to Germany?

    As soon as the pandemic-related entry restrictions have been lifted, you can enter Germany if you have a valid residence title for your entry. If your residence permit or national visa expires while you are abroad, please contact the German embassy or consulate responsible for your current place of residence and submit an application for a re-entry visa for the purpose of your intended stay. You can additionally contact us via our contact form. After the examination of your request, we will, if appropriate, send the responsible German embassy or consulate a pre-approval for visa issuance.

    You have an expired Schengen visa and cannot leave the country before 01.10.2020?

    The Federal Ministry of the Interior, for Building and Homeland Affairs has issued a regulation (PDF, 77 KB). According to this regulation, persons whose Schengen visa expires can stay in Germany until 30. September 2020. This period will not be extended. The departure from Germany is obligatory until 30.09.2020. If the departure is not carried out in time, this can lead to problems with foreigner law later on.

    If it is not possible to leave the country by 30.09.2020, please contact the aliens department via the contact form (request "You want to extend a Schengen visa"). The required proofs can be uploaded via the contact form:

    •     Passport copy
    •     Copy of the Schengen-Visa
    •     Confirmation from the airline that no earlier flight is possible
    •     Proof of an existing sufficient health insurance coverage
    •     In individual cases, other required proofs (for example, a   current medical Certificate of temporary inability to travel)

    Have you entered legally without a visa for the purpose of being a tourist or for a visiting trip?

    Persons who have entered Germany without a visa in accordance with the Regulation (EU 2018/1806, Annex II) for the purpose of tourism or for the purpose of a visiting trip and cannot leave the country must submit an application for legalisation of their stay before the expiry of the 90-day period. The application has a fictional effect of § 81 subparagraph 3 AufenthG. The residence is then considered to be permitted. There is an obligation to leave Germany as soon as it is possible to leave Germany again. Persons who have submitted an application must withdraw their application when they leave Germany.

    You have entered Germany with a national visa (D visa) and you are not registered with your address in Munich yet?

    Please register immediately at the Citizens Office (Bürgerbüro). This can be done by post. All information can be found at www.buergerbuero-muenchen.de.

    I have entered Germany from abroad. Do I have to stay in home quarantine?

    If you have been staying in a risk area (see publication of the RKI) within 14 days before your entry, you must comply with the quarantine regulations of the Free State of Bavaria. Further information on the entry quarantine regulation (EQV) can be found here.

    FAQs concerning residence title and passport

    My residence title/ national visa (D visa) expires and I have not received an appointment yet. What next?

    Please contact us in writing using the contact form or by post. Please send us the required documents with the contact form or by post. You will receive an appointment from us after the examination. You can inform yourself about this on our website www.auslaenderbehoerde-muenchen.de.

    You want to pick up your electronic residence title (eAT)?

    As soon as it has arrived, we will send it by post to your address.

    You want to pick up your electronic travel document?

    As soon as it has arrived, you will receive a notification from us. You will have the possibility to make an appointment with us then to pick it up.

    You have a new passport?

    Your former residence title remains valid. Carry your old as well as your new passport with you. Have you handed in your old passport? Then contact us via our contact form on the internet or by post.

    You hold an expired residence title, and a new passport?

    Please contact us via our contact form or by post and attach a photo of your new valid passport as well as a biometric passport photo of you. You will receive an appointment from us after examination.

    I have lost my electronic residence title (eAT), foreign identity card or toleration certificate (Duldung). What next?

    Please contact us via our contact form or by post. If you have already reported the loss to the police, please send the document with the contact form or by post. You will receive an appointment from us after examination. If necessary, we can also issue to you a certificate confirming your residence status.

    FAQs concerning work

    You want to change your employer?

    Please contact us via our contact form to apply for a change of employer/ employment or by post and attach the following documents:

    You have lost your job?

    Please contact us via our contact form or by post and attach the following documents:

    • Termination letter

    • Current bank account statement

    • Proof of health insurance during unemployment

    Your employer has applied for short-time working allowance (Kurzarbeitergeld) for you?

    Short-time work does not lead, for the time being, to a change of your residence title, as your employment contract remains in force. If you change the employer, you must notify us. Please note that your residence title may expire if you terminate your employment contract. This depends on the ancillary provisions of your residence title. General information on short-time work can be found here.

    FAQs concerning naturalisation and citizenship

    You seek consultation on naturalisation?

    Please book an appointment for a telephone consultation here or check online here, without obligation, if you already fulfill important requirements for naturalization.

    You have already had a consultation for naturalisation and want to apply for naturalisation?

    You can apply for naturalisation in writing by post (not by e-mail). To do so, please first send an e-mail to einbuergerung.kvr@muenchen.de. We will then send you the additional forms and information required for the application by post. Please do not send us any applications until you have received our post.

    Alternatively, in the event of a positive consultation or a positive result of the Quick Check, you can also submit your application as an online application here.

    You have already received a letter to collect your naturalisation certificate?

    Please book an appointment to pick up the certificate here. It is currently not possible to pay fees at the cash desk. If you have not paid the fee yet, please transfer it to the following account of the City of Munich: Stadtsparkasse München, IBAN DE86 7015 0000 0000 2030 00, BIC SSKMDEMM. Please state the reason for transfer as 92001790611419 and bring a bank statement with you as proof of the transfer on the date for the handing over of the certificate.

    Other cases

    I have organized a class trip, language trip or graduation trip. What do I have to do if I have already been issued with a list of travellers (Schülersammelliste) or if I still need it for a future trip?

    If you have already received a list of travellers for a planned trip, you do not need to do anything, even if the trip cannot take place now. The document does not need to be returned. Please dispose of it in accordance with data protection regulations. Please understand that we are unable to issue the list of travellers for planned trips until further notice.

    Other questions

    In all other cases, please contact our service telephone 089/233-96010 or contact us via our contact form or by post.