Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site
A memorial has been erected on the previous grounds of the Dachau concentration camp.
On March 21, 1933, Hitler ordered the construction of a concentration camp in Dachau, the first in Germany. The first commander, Theodor Eicke, developed an organizational scheme that would later be applied to all camps. He made Dachau into a “school of violence” for the members of the SS. In the end of April, 1945, the SS began evacuating the 169 field camps and field commanders, and on April 29, 1945, the camp was freed by US Army units. Until the liberation, the SS had held over 200,000 prisoners from 34 nations in the concentration camp in Dachau.
The concentration camp memorial at Dachau was erected in 1965 following an initiative and plans from the Comité International de Dachau and financed by the state of Bavaria. It includes the grounds of the former prisoners’ camp and the camp crematorium.
In addition to a documentary exhibit in the former work buildings, the bunker, both crematoriums, and a reconstructed prisoners barracks can be viewed.
Since 1960, the Roman Catholic Mortal Agony of Christ Church, the Lutheran Church of Reconciliation, a Jewish memorial, and a Russian Orthodox church have been erected. The memorial of sculptor Nandor Glid was built on the former site of roll call in 1968.