A hidden church gem in the heart of Munich’s pedestrian zone

Asam Church: A Late Baroque masterpiece on Sendlinger Straße

Between fashion stores and cafés on Sendlinger Straße stands a façade barely eight metres wide. Step through the heavy wooden door and you enter one of Bavaria’s most magnificent church interiors – built by the brothers Asam in the 18th century who were working for themselves here and could therefore do whatever they wanted.

Its official name is St. Johann Nepomuk Church, although that name is rarely used. Here you will find everything you need for your visit: opening hours, what not to miss inside and why this church is so different from all the others in the city.

Adresse und Öffnungszeiten

Sendlinger Str. 32 , 80331 München

Asamkirche und Asamhaus
Michael Hofmann

The essentials at a glance

  • What? Private church of the Asam brothers, built from 1733 to 1746 and dedicated to St. John of Nepomuk
  • 📍 Where? Sendlinger Str. 32, 80331 Munich, right in the pedestrian zone
  • 🕗 Opening hours: April to October daily except Fridays from 9 am to 7 pm, Fridays from 1 pm to 7 pm; November to March daily except Fridays from 9 am to 6 pm, Fridays from 1 pm to 6 pm
  • 🎟️ Admission: free
  • ⏱️ Time needed: 15 to 30 minutes – the church measures only 22 by 8 metres, but there is plenty to discover
  • 🚇 Getting there: Sendlinger Tor (U1, U2, U3, U6) or Marienplatz, both just a few minutes away on foot
  • 🌅 Best time to visit: in the morning, when light enters through the large east-facing window above the portal
  • 🙏 Good to know: The church is still in use today – sightseeing is not possible during services

An eight-metre façade: making an entrance on the street

Fassade der Asamkirche
Michael Hofmann

Two massive rock formations rise from the base of the entrance, as if a piece of mountain had been pushed into the row of buildings. Above the portal pediment, a statue of St. John of Nepomuk stands in front of the large east-facing window, flanked by angels. Higher up in the gable sit the three theological virtues: Faith, Charity and Hope.

The effect is intentional. Asam Church has no open square in front of it, no grand sightline and no tower visible from afar. It has to make an impression on passers-by – and it does so with a façade that seems to burst out of the building line on Sendlinger Straße.

👉 The façade of Asam Church on Munich’s Sendlinger Straße is only eight metres wide and is integrated into a continuous row of buildings; its official name is St. Johann Nepomuk Church.

The interior: splendour in a space measuring 22 by 8 metres

Asamkirche - Innenraum
Michael Hofmann

Pass through the imposing wooden door with its four reliefs and two golden stars, and most visitors stop in their tracks. On a floor area too small for an ordinary village church, the Asam brothers packed stucco, frescoes, gold, marble and sculptures so densely that the eye hardly knows where to rest.

Behind it lies a Baroque vision of the world arranged from bottom to top. The lower section with the pews remains dark and represents earthly suffering. The middle zone in white and blue was reserved for the emperor. At the very top, the ceiling fresco depicting the life of St. John of Nepomuk opens towards heaven – illuminated by hidden windows that cannot be seen from the floor.

What you should not miss:

  • The high altar with four twisted columns and the Throne of Grace above: God the Father wearing the triple papal tiara, sculpted so that the figure projects dramatically from the wall
  • 💡 The chancel, where the Trinity group is indirectly illuminated through hidden windows – the most theatrical effect in the entire church
  • 🕯️ Four confessionals in a remarkably small space: Nepomuk is regarded as a patron saint of confessors, and the sacrament of penance visibly plays an important role here
  • 🎼 The organ from 1982 with 16 stops, a modern reconstruction within a Baroque setting
  • 🗿 The epitaph for Johann Nepomuk Joseph Freiherr von Zech, created by Ignaz Günther – a Rococo master of the next generation

👉 The interior of Munich’s Asam Church measures only 22 by 8 metres and is divided vertically into three zones: earthly suffering below, the emperor’s area in the middle, and the ceiling fresco depicting the life of St. John of Nepomuk above.

How the Asam brothers came to build their own church

Cosmas Damian and Egid Quirin Asam are among the defining artists of the Bavarian Baroque. Cosmas Damian painted frescoes like his father, while Egid Quirin worked as a sculptor, stucco artist and altar builder. After Egid Quirin was able to purchase several plots next to his home on Sendlinger Straße between 1729 and 1733, construction began – with no client and no specifications, built for the glory of God and for their own salvation. In 1733, Electoral Prince Maximilian Joseph laid the foundation stone on the feast day of St. John of Nepomuk.

The church did not remain entirely private, however: following public pressure, the brothers had to guarantee access for the local population. The still unfinished church was consecrated in 1746. By then, Cosmas Damian had already been dead for seven years, while Egid Quirin died four years later – neither brother lived to see the church fully completed.

👉 Asam Church was built from 1733 onwards as the private church of the brothers Cosmas Damian and Egid Quirin Asam next to their home on Sendlinger Straße and was consecrated in 17

Curious facts about Asam Church

  • 🛏️ A view of the altar from bed: From his bedroom window in the house next door, Egid Quirin Asam could look directly towards the high altar
  • 🧭 Built the “wrong” way round: The church faces west instead of east – as a private building, it did not have to follow the usual convention
  • ✝️ Hung unusually low: The crucifix opposite the pulpit hangs lower than usual; traditionally, the preacher was supposed to have to look up towards Jesus
  • 🏛️ A Roman reference: The twisted columns of the high altar echo Bernini’s baldachin above St. Peter’s tomb in Rome
  • ⚰️ Not buried in his own church: Egid Quirin Asam wanted to be laid to rest in the crypt of his church – but he is buried in Mannheim
  • 💣 War damage: In 1944/45, the sacristy, chancel wall and roof turret were among the parts of the church badly damaged; restoration of the interior continued until 1983

Why St. John of Nepomuk?

There are several explanations for the dedication to the Bohemian saint, and they do not necessarily contradict one another:

  • 👑 Nepomuk was regarded as a patron saint of the Electorate of Bavaria – an obvious choice for a church in the heart of the residential capital
  • 📅 The foundation stone was laid on the saint’s feast day
  • ⛵ According to one legend, the brothers were travelling by boat on the Danube to Weltenburg Abbey when they were caught in a storm and called on Nepomuk for protection – the boat made it through safely
  • 🌊 Nepomuk had been canonised in 1729 and was regarded as a patron saint of bridges and cities and as a protector against water-related dangers

Asam House: the residential palace next door

Right next to the church stands Asam House, where the brothers lived and whose façade they redesigned in 1734. Elaborate white stucco decorations extend across four storeys between the windows, standing out against the yellow background.

Both brothers knew Roman art first-hand: Cosmas Damian studied at the Accademia di San Luca in Rome and brought back the artistic language that can still be seen today in both the church and the house in Munich. Asam House can only be viewed from the outside.

Visitor information and tips

  • 🚶 Location: in the pedestrian zone between Sendlinger Tor and Marienplatz, less than five minutes from Rindermarkt
  • 📸 Photography: difficult without a tripod because of the dark interior – morning daylight offers the best conditions
  • 🤫 Etiquette: The church is a place of worship, not a museum, so please keep your voice down
  • Accessibility: Access from Sendlinger Straße is via steps
  • 🔗 Nearby: Sendlinger Tor, St. Peter’s Church and Viktualienmarkt can easily be combined into a short walking tour of Munich’s Old Town

Frequently asked questions about Asam Church

Is there an admission fee for Asam Church?

No, admission is free. Donations towards the upkeep of the church are welcome.

When is Asam Church open?

From April to October, the church is open daily except Fridays from 9 am to 7 pm, and on Fridays from 1 pm. From November to March, it closes one hour earlier.

What is the official name of Asam Church?

St. Johann Nepomuk Church. The name Asam Church became established after its builders, the brothers Cosmas Damian and Egid Quirin Asam.

How long does a visit take?

15 to 30 minutes is enough. If you want to take your time looking at the ceiling fresco, high altar and details, allow around half an hour.

Can you visit Asam House?

Only from the outside. The brothers’ residential palace directly next to the church is not open to the public.

Are services still held at Asam Church?

Yes, the church is still used for services and belongs to the parish of St. Peter. Sightseeing is not possible during Mass.

At a glance

Asam Church: A Late Baroque masterpiece on Sendlinger Straße

Sendlinger Str. 32
80331 München