Design and history of the Square of the Victims of National Socialism
Eternal Flame on Brienner Straße: Square for the Victims of National Socialism
A memorial to the victims of Nazi tyranny: An eternal flame commemorates all those people who were persecuted and killed because of the color of their skin, their religion, their political views, their sexual orientation or a disability. What you need to know about the Square for the Victims of National Socialism (Platz der Opfer des Nationalsozialismus) and where to find it:
Information about the memorial on Brienner Straße
- The Square of the Victims of National Socialism is located at the north end of Maximiliansplatz and forms a connection to Brienner Straße and Königsplatz. Another close stop to the location is Karolinenplatz
- Diagonally opposite was the Wittelsbacher Palais, which was destroyed in the Second World War. During the Third Reich, the Gestapo had its headquarters in this palace and also operated a torture prison there.
- Therefore, in 1946, the city fathers decided to rename the place "Square of the Victims of National Socialism" (Platz der Opfer des Nationalsozialismus).
- After a reconstruction, the square was reopened to the public in January 2014
Redesign of the square
In December 2008, the Munich City Council's Council of Elders voted to make the square for the victims of National Socialism more dignified. For example, the two large plane trees were moved to the north to better shield the square from the street. Benches were also installed.
Furthermore, an 18.5 meter long and 1.30 meter high bronze plaque has been erected to complement the existing memorial. It bears the inscription "Im Gedenken an die Opfer der nationalsozialistischen Gewaltherrschaft" (In memory of the victims of National Socialist tyranny). In addition, a bronze band was embedded in the ground.
In January 2014, the redesigned square was reopened to the public. The former Lord Mayor Christian Ude laid a wreath at the square for the victims of National Socialism. Afterwards, the flame was relit in the granite column created by Andreas Sobeck.
History of the square
Munich was called the "capital of the movement" in Nazi jargon. Here stood the party headquarters of the NSDAP, the "Brown House," on whose former site the Nazi Documentation Center was opened in 2014. Odeonsplatz and Königsplatz were the sites of repeated marches by the National Socialist regime.
The city council therefore decided to name a square to commemorate the victims of Nazi tyranny. The choice fell on the location near the former Gestapo headquarters in 1946. The Wittelsbach Palace had been a place of extermination and terror since 1933.
Granite column by Andreas Sobeck
Here people were mistreated and killed because of their race, religion, political views or sexual orientation. In order not to let the horrors of this time be forgotten, this place has existed since 1946. In 1985, the sculptor Andreas Sobeck designed a granite column commemorating the victims of the Hitler regime.
The flame trapped behind a bronze grate, burning day and night, stands for the human that cannot be extinguished by oppression. So it symbolizes not least the hope that exists even in the darkest times.