Karlstor at the Stachus: What you should know about the city gate and its history
One of the last preserved city gates of Munich: The Karlstor
The Karlstor at Karlsplatz (Stachus) is one of Munich's old city gates and today the western border of Munich's busy pedestrian zone.
The Karlstor at a glance
- It was built as early as the 14th century as part of Munich's second city fortification.
- Until 1791 it bore the name "Neuhauser Tor" because it was located on the road leading to the district of Neuhausen.
- In the main arch of the gate, the so-called collar heads protrude from the corners. They represent outstanding Munich personalities.
- In the main passageway, a memorial plaque also commemorates Herbert Jensen, the initiator of Munich's pedestrian zone.
History of the Karlstor
The Karlstor, formerly called Neuhauser Tor, was built next to the Sendlinger Tor and the Isartor in the course of the second city fortification in the 14th century. In the course of history, it was repeatedly expanded and rebuilt. It has been called Karlstor since the Falcon Towers were rebuilt under Elector Karl Theodor in 1791, when the Stachus was also given the name Karlsplatz.
In 1861 the gate was redesigned in Gothic style, the last change was made in 1902 by Gabriel von Seidl in the course of the construction of the adjacent Stachus roundel.
After damage during the Second World War, the Karlstor was rebuilt in a simplified form.