Munich Christmas Market at Marienplatz from Nov. 22nd to Dec. 24th, 2021
The original on Marienplatz: opening hours, program, offer
The Munich Christkindlmarkt of the state capital Munich takes place from November 22 to December 24 2021 at the Marienplatz: All info at a glance.
The Christkindlmarkt on Marienplatz is a must-see in the Christmas season in Munich. In the middle of the old town you can find traditional crafts and holiday coziness with mulled wine and culinary delicacies such as roasted almonds, doughnuts and much more.
Here you can find out what the unique Christmas market, whose roots go back to the 14th century, has to offer.
The highlights at the Munich Christkindlmarkt
What makes the traditional Christkindlmarkt on Marienplatz so special? And what activities are on offer in Advent 2021?
The Kripperlmarkt and the Himmelswerkstatt will be inviting, and the Krampuslauf will be back. The detailed program will follow.
Useful information and services for tourists
Opening times: The Christkindlmarkt on Marienplatz is planned for 2021 from November 22 to December 24. The exact opening hours for 2021 are yet to be announced. In past years, the market has been open from
- from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday
- from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Sundays
How to get there: You can reach the Christmas Market directly via
- U-Bahn (U3/U6 to Marienplatz, U3/U4/U5/U6 to Odeonsplatz and Karlsplatz/Stachus)
- S-Bahn (S1-S8 to Marienplatz or Karlsplatz)
- Streetcar 19 to Theatinerstraße
Guided tours: During Christmas time official city guides provide very special insights with a stroll around the Christmas Market and a culinary gourmet tour.
- München Tourismus, Guided Tours
- E-Mail: email@example.com
- Fax: +49 (0) 89 233 - 30 319
- Phone: +49 (0) 89 233 - 30 234, - 30 204 and - 30 237
The luminous Christmas tree
Every year during Advent, an impressive Christmas tree creates an Advent atmosphere at the Christkindlmarkt on Marienplatz. But where does the tree come from and how did it get to Marienplatz? What is the custom of the Christmas tree all about? We answer these questions and more about German Christmas traditions here.
More useful information
All around the Christkindlmarkt there are other great offers during Christmas time:
- Take the MVG ChristkindlTram for a leisurely tour of the city with mulled wine and music. The ride passes through some of the most beautiful sights - including the illuminated Maxmonument. Stations at: Sendlinger Tor (entry and exit) - Isartor - Maxmonument - Nationaltheater - Theatinerstraße - Lenbachplatz - Stachus - Sendlinger Tor.
- Use the MVV Packerlbus at the Museum of Hunting and Fishing on Kaufingerstraße to store your shopping bags while visiting the Christmas market on the four Advent Saturdays.
Video: Impressions of the Christkindlmarkt
Contact for printing, filming and photo permits
Claudia Bauer, Tel. +49 89 233 82804
Further information from the Department for Employment and Economics