Kripperlmarkt - Munich Manger Market
Just a few steps away from Marienplatz on Neuhauser Strasse you will find Germany’s largest nativity market. From a lantern for the stable and hay for the oxen and asses, to the gifts from the three wise men, the market has everything you need for an authentic nativity scene.
Impressions of the Manger Market
The twelve stalls at the Manger Market sell only mangers, figurines for the nativity scene and accessories. Almost every stall offers its own unique range of products. If you find yourself getting peckish after purchasing the perfect star or a baby Jesus for your manger, you can recharge your batteries with one of the organic sausages, Dampfnudel dumplings, traditional Bavarian doughnuts or the wide variety of punches on offer at the Manger Market.
What’s on offer?
- Stables, including some hand-made pieces created using traditional family methods and designs passed down over generations
- Mangers in a range of styles, e.g. oriental mangers, Artis-style mangers, fir mangers (including Swiss pine), Kostner-style mangers, Grödner mangers, well-known collectors’ mangers, hand-made and hand-painted Swiss pine mangers
- Nativity figurines, made by selected carvers from Val Gardena in South Tyrol, wooden nativity figurines in oriental dress and traditional Bavarian costume, hand-made Marolin figurines from Thuringia, figurines for children’s nativity sets, e.g. by the artists Fontani and Bernadi
- Large assortment of angels, e.g. Sissi, Perlach, Traum and Gloria angels, angels’ heads and putti
- Wooden figurines such as the Madonna, patron saints, holy figures and secular figurines, annual figurines for collectors, figurines with wooden heads that you can dress yourself, original Heidi dress-up figurines and woollen sheep
- Nativity scene accessories such as wells, camp fires, shepherd’s huts, rakes and hay forks, including individual, hand-made designs
- Electrical items for nativity scenes (lanterns, plugs, transformers) and spare parts, also suitable for lighting in US nativity scenes
- Decorative items made from natural materials, such as moss, bark, etc.
- Repairs, restorations and custom-made pieces on request
- Advice, also available in other languages (EN, FR, ES, IT)
The range of crib figures, accessories and woodcarvings at Richard-Strauss-Brunnen at Neuhauserstr. is so comprehensive that the manger market is regarded as a true treasure trove for crib enthusiasts. As well as true collector items and rarities, there are many cribs and accessories here, in all sizes and variations, for normal Christmas use. Special highlights of the manger market are the Oberammergau large crib and the precious oriental and alpine ornate cribs. The manger market with its artistically carved figures has been a tradition of the Munich Christmas Market since the 18th century. In 1597 a crib was placed in the Jesuit St Michael's church for the first time. Since 2011 the manger market has been located directly in front of the church on Richard-Strauss-Brunnen in Neuhauserstr. In its former location at the Rindermarkt you can now find the nostalgic Sternenplatzl.
Cribs in Munich
Christmas cribs (German) belong to Advent in Munich like gingerbread and mulled wine. Experience the variety of cribs in Munich's city-centre churches by taking a stroll along the Nativity Trail (Krippenweg, German). Those who want to see even more cribs are recommended to take a look at the crib collection in the Bavarian National Museum (German) which has valuable handcrafted examples from the Tyrol and Italy.