When the food market of the city grew too large for the Marienplatz central square, King Maximilian I issued a decree in 1807 to have it moved a few metres to the south-east. It was erected the square between Heiliggeist-Kirche and Frauenstraße. Charity buildings that had once belonged to the church were demolished to make way for the market square or "Marktplatz", which later came to be known as "Viktualienmarkt" or victuals market.
In 1823, the market got larger again, and over the years a number of market halls were added. Schrannenhalle, the precursor to today's "Großmarkthalle" or Great Market Hall, which burnt down in 1932 and was reopened in 2005. A butchers' hall, fish hall, pavilions for bakeries and fruit vendors, stands for fowl and venison, and flower shops were added.
After WWII, the market place was revived by the city administration and the citizens of Munich enriched it with memorial wells for folk singers and comedians such as Karl Valentin, Weiß Ferdl and Liesl Karlstadt. Water has always played an important role on the market square. Years ago, seven brooks, which were connected to the river Isar, flowed across the square.
The Maypole in the centre, carries figurettes that display the trades and crafts from this part of Munich. Maypoles date from ancient times and represent a village or borough and its trade. Also, for travelling salesmen or travelling craftsmen looking for a new master to learn from. Maypoles are common to Celtic countries and therefore also to Bavaria; they are also known, for example, in some parts of England.
Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus
A great blend of rustic and modern – the restaurant Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus near Marienplatz and Viktualienmarkt is a popular meeting place for Munich locals and guests from all over the world. The “Haxengrill” is the uncontested heart of the inn. Pork knuckles and veal joints seasoned with a secret mix of spices and grilled over beech wood charcoal are served as crispy delicacies. Typical Munich cuisine and contemporary meals are dished up in a historical building. Additional information »
Over the years, the market has evolved from a farmers' market to a popular market for fresh food and delicatessen. It offers exotic ingredients that are not available anywhere else in the area, and is renowned for its diversity and size: 140 stalls and shops offering flowers and plants, fruits and vegetables, venison and fowl, eggs, butter, honey, fish, meat, sausages, herbs, spices, delicatessens, wine and tea are assembled on an area covering 22,000 square metres.