English Garden

Ausblick vom Monopteros, Foto: muenchen.de/Michael Hofmann
Foto: muenchen.de/Michael Hofmann

The "Englische Garten" (“English Garden”) is one of the largest urban parks in the world. The layout has undergone constant change for centuries as new buildings and green spaces gets added time and again.

The English Garden is the largest park in Munich, followed by the park surrounding the Nymphenburg Castle and the Riemer Park.

History of recreation

Frühling im Englischen Garten, Foto: Katy Spichal
Foto: Katy Spichal

It all started in 1789 when Elector Carl Theodor ordered that a public park be established along the Isar River. He put the project in the hands of the Briton Benjamin Thompson, who worked at the time for the Bavarian Army. The park was given the name Englische Garten because it was laid out in the style of an English country park.

Today the Englische Garten offers numerous leisure time activities. Cyclists and joggers train on the 78-kilometer-long (48.5 miles) network of paths, and amateur soccer players meet on the fields for recreational games. A beautiful vista of the city if offered by the Monopteros, which was added to the park landscape along with the hill in 1836. The Japanese teahouse first opened in 1972 on the southern end of the park on an artificial island in the Schwabinger Bach (stream). Japanese tea ceremonies are performed here regularly.



Seehaus von innen

The Seehaus restaurant in the English Garden Munich, is considered "Island of the Blessed” due to its pavilion, Bavarian Stüberl and heavenly beer garden. Be it breakfast, cakes and tarts in the afternoon, dinner, banquets or festivals – the restaurant Seehaus is an idyllic venue for many occasions featuring a modern and cozy atmosphere.
In the heart of the English Garden right on the banks of Kleinhesseloher Lake are direct parking facilities.
Additional information

Beer gardens

With 7,000 spots, the beer garden beside the Chinese Tower in the English Garden, is Munich’s second largest. This distinctive pagoda is 25 meters (approx. 75 feet) high and is based on a design from 1789. The tower has burned down several times over the years, but each time it has been rebuilt true to the design of the original.

Another beer garden is located on Kleinhesseloher Lake. From the first ray of sunshine, all benches are quickly occupied. The associated Seehaus restaurant is open year-round and offers sophisticated local varieties. Behind the Seehaus is beginning of the north part of the park, beyond the Mittleren Ring (“Middle Ring”). The area is much quieter than the lively southern section. The Englische Gartenshares boundaries with the Isar River here, which can be easily crossed via the weir at Oberföhring. On the northern end of the park is Restaurant Aumeister, which also has a beer garden.

More about Munich



Alle Infos